20 September 2007

Experts draft tonight...

As described in this post, I'm back in the industry experts league - our draft is tonight at 8:30pm EDT. With 14 teams this year, I have the opportunity to actually do *worse* than last year's cellar finish (12th place).

I'll post draft results tonight or tomorrow.


UPDATE: Roberto Luongo goes first! to Rotoworld. Shocker - Scott Cullen of TSN is thrilled as Sidney Crosby falls to him at the second spot. Goalies are going fast as Miikka Kiprusoff went #3. I got Joe Thornton with the 5th pick. And there are now 15 in the league. 285 players overall. I'd better start brewing some coffee...

...Earliest goalie run ever...6 goalies gone in the first round. I need to take one on the way back to me...(although Jason Spezza is still available).. Nick Backstrom gone. wow.

Spezza went 4 pix before me - dammit. With 10 of the first 22 picks being goalies though, I had no choice but to jump on that train and I managed to grab Ryan Miller at the 26th spot.

No less than 12 goalies are gone, and the 2nd round isn't complete.

Amazingly i got Daniel Alfredsson in the 3rd round. Fantastic.

UPDATE: 3rd round, 17 goalies are gone. With each of the 15 teams needing 2 goalies in the starting lineup, i've got to get another #1 right here. Peter Budaj is available, i'm up in 7 picks. It's either him or Cam Ward.

...I got Budaj. Unlike last year, my goalies are set.

FINAL ROSTER:

SportsGrumblings

View All
Round Pick Player Position
1. (5) Joe Thornton C
2. (26) Ryan Miller G
3. (35) Daniel Alfredsson RW
4. (56) Peter Budaj G
5. (65) Maxim Afinogenov RW
6. (86) Zdeno Chara D
7. (95) Nathan Horton C
8. (116) Brendan Shanahan LW
9. (125) Chris Neil RW
10. (146) Martin Straka C
11. (155) Wojtek Wolski LW
12. (176) Francois Beauchemin D
13. (185) Carey Price G
14. (206) Raitis Ivanans LW
15. (215) Mike Van Ryn D
16. (236) Marc-Edouard Vlasic D
17. (245) Kyle Calder LW
18. (266) Guillaume Latendresse RW
19. (275) Mikko Koivu C

I was pretty thrilled at how the first 10 rounds went. Straka with the 146th pick, even Wolski at 155 when I still hadn't picked up a LW yet (a very thin position after the top ~10). Amazing how the talent thinned out dramatically after that - I took a future flyer on Carey Price as my third goalie (hoping he'll win the job and I can deal either Ryan Miller or Peter Budaj) and then went for some young defencement. Only 4 bench spots which makes it tough to take too many chances.

No comments: